Brownsville, Haywood County, Tennessee

Attractions
Boards & Commissions
Business & Industry
Departments & Services
Education
Government
Healthcare
Statistics
Utilities
Brownsville On The Move
Ward Map

City of Brownsville

City of Brownsville
111 N. Washington
Brownsville, TN 38012
731-772-1212
contactus@brownsvilletn.gov


Healthcare

Haywood Park Community Hospital

Haywood County had a hospital to serve the medical needs of its citizens much earlier than many counties in West Tennessee . Haywood County Memorial Hospital opened its doors in 1931 with a 25 bed facility, and in 1950 increased to a 50 bed facility. It continued to serve the community until a new hospital was completed in 1974 under the management of Hospital Corporation of America .
With a new name – Haywood Park General Hospital – and a new facility that included medical, surgical and obstetrical services, and x-ray and laboratory facilities, the hospital remained in operation under HCA until 1987, when HealthTrust bought it.
On April 1, 1988, Methodist Healthcare, Memphis, purchased the hospital, making it part of the 14th largest health systems in the United States. The local hospital became Methodist Healthcare Brownsville Hospital .
In 1995, the facility underwent an extensive renovation that added a new and updated emergency department. In April 1996, a radiology expansion was completed, and the hospital began using tele-radiology. In January 2000, it became the 5th hospital in the Methodist system to be recognized as part of the LeBonheur Children’s Center Pediatric Emergency Network. Since the hospital has become one of only three in West Tennessee to use tele-medicine in services.

In 2003, Community Health Systems (CHS) purchased the hospital, and it now does business as Haywood Park Community Hospital.