|County Clerk's Office
Haywood County Clerk
1 N. Washington Avenue
Brownsville, TN 38012
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Welcome to the County Clerk's web page. You will find useful information about
the service our office offers to customers. Links to websites provide vital
information on related topics. If you are unable to find the answer to your
question, please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to give you an
answer to your inquiry.
Castellaw is a Haywood County native and
graduated from Haywood High School. She worked
in the County Clerk's office for 18 years before
she was elected County Clerk.
- Jennifer English
- Lindsey Cates
- Nancye West
- Helen Fisher
- Michelle Hines
- Michelle Killen
- The fee to renew a passenger vehicle in the city
limits is $121.00 in the office. If you mail in your
renewal, the fee is $123.00, which includes $2.00
- The fee to renew a passenger vehicle is $114.00
in the county. If you are mailing in your renewal,
the fee is $116.00,which includes a $2.00 for
- Any specialty plate is an additional $36.00. If
you have a specialty plate that has been
personalized, then you will need to add another
- A donation of $1 to promote Organ Donor
Awareness is optional.
- New residents of Tennessee are required to apply
for a license plate and/or the county wheel tax
immediately after moving.
- Residents moving from another county to Haywood
County must show two (2) proofs of residency. Some
examples include: utility bill, property tax
statement or paycheck stub showing current home
- The application for a title to a vehicle is
$11.00. The total fee for a new title and license
plate is $132.00 for city residents, and $125 for
- If you would rather have a specialty plate, then
you will need to add an additional $36.00 to the
$132.00 or $125.00.
- Transfer of a tag and application for title is
- The license fee is $95.00. The cost is reduced to
$35.00 if the couple completes a premarital
preparation course from a qualified instructor and
submits the Certificate of Completion form when
applying for the license.
- Social Security card must be shown or proof of
- Both the bride and groom must appear in the office
to sign the permanent record book.
- There is no waiting period. The license must be
used within 30 days from the date of issue.
- The State of Tennessee does not require a blood
- Both parties must be 18 years or older. A driver's
license or certified copy of birth certificate is
required for identification.
- A license issued in Haywood County is valid
throughout the State of Tennessee.
- The application fee is $15.00 for the original
- Each year the license is renewed and a tax is
paid, based on the gross receipts earned during the
tax period, with the Department of Revenue,
Nashville, Tennessee. You may go to the Department's
www.tn.gov/revenue and click on "online
- A business located within the city limits of
Brownsville must also obtain a city license.
- For an application for new business tax license
use the following link:
Business Tax License
The Haywood County Clerk's office issues Tennessee Driving License renewals,
replacements, ID renewals and replacements on Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30
a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Marriages are recorded in Haywood County for the
years 1859 to the present. To request copies, you
must submit in writing the name of the groom, bride
and the date of the marriage. The fee for this is
$5.00 per copy.
- Wills or probate records in the Haywood County
Clerk's office may be obtained for the years of 1826
through 1982. The fees for these copies are $5.00
per copy. If you desire certified copies, a $10 fee
is applicable. If you desire copies of wills after
the year of 1982, you must contact the Haywood
County Chancery Court at 731-772-0122 since probate
was transferred to that office in 1982.
- Divorce records in the Haywood County Clerk's
office may be obtained for the years 1941 through
1965. The fee for these copies is $5.00. If you
desire certified copies, a $10.00 fee is applicable.
If you desire copies of divorces after 1965, you
must contact the Haywood County Chancery Court at
731-772-0122 or the Haywood County Circuit Court at
731-772-1112 since divorces were transferred in 1965
to these courts.
- County Court minutes are recorded in this office
for the years of 1826 to the present. To obtain
copies, you must call and give a description of the
minutes desired. A different fee is applicable to
each type of minute copies desired.
New Year's Day - January 1
Martin Luther King Day - 3rd Monday in January
Good Friday - Friday before Easter
Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
Independence Day - July 4
Labor Day - 1st Monday in September
Veteran's Day - November 11
Thanksgiving Day - 4th Thursday in November
Day after Thanksgiving - 4th Friday in November
Christmas Holiday - December 25 and an additional day